Sunday, September 5, 2010

Doane Blogging Study Week 1 - EXERCISE!


Exercise! Is it really that important? Does it actually do anything for us? Is it necessary to be healthy? The big answer is YES! Making the choice to exercise is one of the most important decisions we face every day. It can make a huge difference in how our bodies feel. There are hundreds of books and scientific studies a person could read to find out about the awesome power of exercise and its effects on the human body. Below you will read about some of the most important reasons to include exercise in your life every week. As you read below, think about how important these things are to you.

1. Exercise teaches our bodies to move better! Humans were meant to move. Throughout our history, we have always been on the move, whether it was to search for food and shelter, or to explore new lands. We have never been people who sit for long periods of time. Running, jumping, hopping, skipping, crawling, lifting, pushing, pulling, and swimming are all great ways to improve your mobility! Your muscles, bones, and tissues will become stronger, and you will be more physically fit!

2. Your brain will work better! The University of Chile found that exercise causes the release of BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) in the brain, which acts to rejuvenate and repair brain cells. Exercise also increases the amount of oxygen and nutrients to the brain which helps build new healthy brain cells.

3. Exercise makes you happy! The University of Bonn in Germany discovered that exercise helps the body release endorphins and dopamine in the brain, which gives you a feeling of relaxation and pleasure. Endorphins also act as a powerful natural pain reliever.

4. Exercise creates energy! When you exercise consistently, your body learns that it needs to have more energy on reserve. Therefore, the more you exercise, the more energy your body will make.

5. Exercise boosts your immune system! Researchers at Appalachian State University found that people who were physically fit had better working immune cells. This means you will be able to fight off bacteria, viruses, and other foreign invaders much easier.

6. Exercise protects your heart! Researchers from the University of Rochester School of Medicine found that exercise strengthens and relaxes arteries. When your heart starts to beat fast, your body releases something called eNOS, which allows blood to flow easier throughout the body.

7. Exercise allows your body to detoxify!. Pollution is something we all come in contact with. Sweating and breathing hard are two great ways to eliminate environmental toxins from the body.

8. Exercise improves your metabolism! When we exercise, it is much easier for our bodies to use food as energy. Researchers from Taiwan found that consistent exercise allows the body to use food to power our cells, instead of storing it as fat.

You’ve just read some of the wonderful benefits of exercise. Which of these things are most important to you? What are your exercise goals? Does this information make you want to exercise? What is your favorite way to exercise? Please write your thoughts, comments, and questions below!

14 comments:

  1. the infomaction you told makes me what to excercise. my goal is to get to get a good running pershion. my favorite way to excercise is to ride my bike most of the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think studying by a blog spot is one of the best ways to get kids into learning at their own homes.It is one of the most frequently used electronics so the kids would figure out blogging in a flash.Also if studying such a subject as yours childre would even be more interested in studyig a blog.The down side to it is that there are so many children out there that aren't aloud to get on the internet.But i think your way of studying is the best and only way for a child to sudy and have fun.Also teachers can add all sorts of websites for the childre to get on and learn new things every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy. Thanks for your comments. With limited PE time, my goal is to continue the learning process beyond the classroom. That was why I created the blog initially. The world of health is ever-changing and always progressing. There is a lot of information that I don't always have time to share with the kids in class. This post is the first in a series that I am doing for my Master's Degree at Doane College. I'm trying to discover how blogging will impact 5th grade PE students. My only problem - I need my 5th graders to start blogging! Although I don't think it is the only way for a child to study (learn) and have fun, I'm hoping it proves to be one way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing most important to me would be number 6. That's because when I was three I had a heart problem.I'm always afraid my heart problem will soon come back,but if excercise helps my heart I might stat to do it more often! Te information actually does kind of make me want to excercise because now I know all the great benefits! My favorte way to excercise ism wii game wii fit plus. It has balnce games, strength games, yoga games, and training plus games. It's technolagyin a fun healthy way.
    Emma B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Recker, I really learned a lot about exercise from your article. It has inspired me just a bit more to get up and get moving! I'd have to say that #2. is my favorite because other than learning at school mon.-fri, I could go outside on the weekends and exercise and still boost my learning skills! My goal in exercise is to stay active in sports and as an adult I would exercise every morning. My favorite way to exercise is to ride my bike around my house and back behind the tree line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think #7 is most important because you cant run arround with a bunch of toxins in your body. My personal fitness goals in life are to manly just stay healthy. this information doese make me want t exersize more. My favorite way to exersize is to go rollar skating.
    Your friend,
    Sage

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think #6 is more important you'd be dead without your heart
    your friend,jalyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reallly like to exercise by running long distance.I like #2 because you need a healthy brain.


    LUKE is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love to ecersise by preston

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most important one for me is that my brain would work better. My goal for exercise is to get stronger. I guess this kinda makes me want to exercise. My favorite way to exercise is to run or jog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This website is a great way to learn about fitness. Brooke B

    ReplyDelete
  12. exercise is a good way to stay fit.fit is a good way to stay healthy i at least walk 3 miles everyday to stay in great shape.my top 3 exercises would brobably be running rim jumps and moutain clibmers.they are all good for your quadriceps.i recommend these exercises to everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If we exercise while we do everything why do we need to exercise just in personal?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great question Reagan. Most people today do not have careers or jobs that require them to be active most of the day. In fact many sit at a desk for the majority of their work hours. So for many people, exercise beyond daily activities is necessary for good health. Before all the "creature comforts" and technology, people were constantly moving - hunting, farming, building, crafting, etc. Our bodies were meant to move. And we know through decades of research that exercise improves almost every aspect of health you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete