Sunday, October 3, 2010

Doane Blogging Study Week 5 - Brain Health


The human brain is the control center of the human body. In fact, it regulates every process that goes on within your body. It gives your body the directions for learning, moving, and even breathing! It truly is a remarkable organ.

Nutrition is a very important aspect to brain health. Your body needs certain nutrients to produce ATP (cellular energy) for your brain to run on. B vitamins, magnesium, CoQ10, and calcium are all needed to make energy. You can get these nutrients from natural whole foods. Research has also shown that eating 0.9 lbs of fruits and vegetables per day can preserve high brain function and help prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.

The brain is mostly made of fat - specifically, omega-3 fatty acids. The most important omega-3 fat is called DHA. All healthy brain cells are made up of DHA. It is incredibly protective of the brain and allows the brain to function at a high level. The best sources of DHA are fish and grass-fed animals. Other good sources of omega-3s include eggs, greens, and nuts.

New brain research points to the importance of something called BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor). The brain releases BDNF to repair brain cells and rejuvenate brain tissue. There are three ways to increase BDNF in the body:
1. Aerobic exercise – get your heart rate up and challenge your body physically!
2. Learn something new – this challenges your brain circuitry and new connections are formed
3. Nutrition – blueberries, turmeric, and fish are three top BDNF boosters

Building and protecting the brain is very important to learning, focus, and memory. What did you find most interesting about this article? When do you feel you learn the best? How do you learn best? Please share your comments, questions, and thoughts below!

5 comments:

  1. The most interesting part was the part about the BDNF. That part was most important to me because now I know what I can eat to repair any damaged brain cells in the body. I do love turmeric and blueberries too. I feel I learn the best when I am being taught individually with just me and the teacher. That way helps me to focus on the topic and not on the topic and classmates.
    How are headaches caused and why?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL!I think it's neat that your brain can help prevent diseases. I learn best when its put into fun fun game like way. I learn best that way probably because it's fun and it makes me want to do it over and over again! So, what does ATP and DHA stand for?
    Thanks for the info,
    Emma B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that aerobic exercise could help your brain to think better. I didn't know that blueberries were so important. Is there any way to get omega 3's if you don't eat enough of the good foods to get them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What will happen if someone didn't get or try to get BDNF? What would happen?
    Also, does exercising do anything to your brain?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the most important part about this article was how the brain fuctions and that the brain is made upof mostly fat.

    ReplyDelete