Sunday, October 10, 2010

Doane Blogging Study Week 6 - Relationships & Personal Character


Researchers from Brigham Young University recently concluded that being connected to others increases survival by up to 50%! They believe that people are motivated to take better care of themselves when they are involved and invested in others. Advanced science is also proving that positive social interaction turns on genes that promote health, while negative social interaction can turn on genes that promote inflammation in the body. There is no doubt that our relationships can be a major factor in determining our health. It really makes sense to choose our friends wisely. It also makes sense to try to be a good friend. Spend time with those who make you feel happy.

Hall of Fame College Basketball Coach John Wooden always told his players, “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Character is what you really are; reputation is merely what you are perceived to be.” I have always loved this Wooden quote. I remember it whenever I feel like people are judging me unfairly or when I feel afraid to make the right choices in my life. It does not matter what others think of me. I know who I am, what I stand for, and the type of person I want to be. That is what is important. People that stand up for what is right, what is just, and what is positive in this world have high character. These people are the real role models. They are true leaders.

Do you feel like your relationships are healthy? Is social interaction important to you? Does it make you feel good to be around others like you? Do you feel you have high character? Are you more concerned with your character or your reputation? What qualities do you think true leaders should possess? Do you know anyone who is a good role model? Please share your thoughts, questions, and comments below!

5 comments:

  1. I think a leader is someone who cares for other people but they also stand up for what they believe in. They don't just follow people and do what they say without thinking. I think it is good to have friends so you have someone to help you and to hang out with you. So what do you do if your friends start to follow someone who has a bad reputation and you don't want to, and then you start getting left out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like my relationships are healthy because my true friends make me smile and laugh and give me all that positive energy I need. I do think social interaction is important because I can gain energy from other people and it's healthy! Yes I like being around people like me because then I can talk to people and see what we have in common. I do feel like I have high character. I am also more concerned in my character than my reputation. True leaders should be positive, caring, helpful, strong, honest, friendly, fair, considerate, and couragrous. My cousin Lauren she is so sweet, and my mom.
    Thanks for the info!
    Emma B

    ReplyDelete
  3. These paragraghs follow along with the mood sectetion. I think it is good to keep your mind on your self, but I didn't realise your body gets good health by such small things. I is really interesting that just these small things matter. Now that you are telling me this I should now pay more attention to the human body and everything it does. Oh, and how do you know all of this? I would really like to know. I looked on one of your blog sheets and it said that this was the last topic. I hope it will not be. I would really like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relationships are what make my life special. I have a couple of friends that backed off on me just recently.They just found somebody else to play with . It didn't make me feel to bad until I had got to thinking about how good these relationships are. Then I relized that my friends who I knew liked me went to play with other people.Now, I know how important relationahips are and my friends are treating me normal also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that most of my relationships are strong and healthy although sometimes they can waver. I feel like I know right from wrong. I get along better with people who are like me because I know what to say and do with them. True leaders should show honesty, kindness, and fairness. My role models are all my close friends.

    ReplyDelete