Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Linguistic Intelligence

Photobucket

Linguistic intelligence involves the use of words. Children that have a high amount of linguistic intelligence enjoy expressing and gaining knowledge through reading, writing, speaking, discussing, sharing, and questioning. How does this happen in physical education class you may ask? Well let me give you some examples.

When a new physical skill or dynamic movement is taught in PE, there is always discussion as to how to perform it, why it should be performed a certain way, and the benefits acquired from it. I always encourage the students to ask questions and give me feedback on everything we do.

Another way I reach out to linguistic intelligence is through discussion about health and wellness topics. Nutrition, disease-prevention, and stress management are a few of the topics we cover. Students get the opportunity to ask me questions and think critically. If I do not have time to answer all questions in class, students are encouraged to write their questions down for me. These questions are then answered on my teacher blog (that you are reading right now). This blog is also a phenomenal source for students to read about various health topics to improve their knowledge.

One last example of appealing to linguistic learners would be the written tests that we have each quarter. While some students can display their skills through physical demonstration or class discussion, others need the opportunity to write what they have learned. This is made possible through written tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment