Saturday, May 23, 2009

My 1st Farmers Market of the Summer

This morning I ventured off to the Lincoln Haymarket Farmers Market. I made sure to get down there early so that I could enjoy the vast selection of goods offered by the vendors. As I arrived at 9am on this beautiful sunny day, the streets were already packed with people buying fresh foods, flowers, and other plants. Some people were simply walking around enjoying the atmosphere. Others were present to listen to the talented musicians entertaining everyone. Quite a few people were purchasing freshly cooked food that was offered. It was one big party!

I had one mission though, and that was to buy some fresh, naturally raised, nutritious food. As I scanned the various stalls, I realized that certain vegetables must be in season. The hard part was choosing who to buy from because it all looked very good. I wanted to support as many vendors as possible so I decided to buy from 6 different farmers. It feels good to support the small family farm. They really take pride in providing well-raised food for their customers. My morning's purchase included asparagus, spinach, broccoli, buttercrunch lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and grass-fed lamb chops. Everything was picked fresh, naturally raised, and unadulterated. I am thoroughly excited to enjoy this food during the week. As the growing season moves into June, July, and August, more variety will be available. I can't wait to go back next week!

Below is a picture of my complete purchase from this morning:
Oh and one other thing. On my way back to my car, I stopped in at Maggie's. Maggie's is a vegetarian restaurant located at 8th and Q. Although I'm not a vegetarian, this might be my favorite place to eat in Lincoln. Her vegetarian lasagna is the best lasagna I've ever had, hands down. Today I purchased an avocado melt and it was simply amazing. It was loaded with fresh ingredients that were purchased from the farmers market earlier this morning! They are open for breakfast and lunch Monday-Saturday. Give this place a try! You won't regret it. Here is the delicious avocado melt that I devoured shortly after this picture was taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment